Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving Detox: Mexican Tostada w/ Chunky Guacamole


I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I was able to spend mine at home with family I don’t get to see all too often. It was nice to catch up and relax with loved ones. I also ran my first Turkey Trot! It started off pretty chilly and crowded but once I was able to cross the start line I really got into the run and completed the 5 mile race in 45 minutes, pretty good for me! After that I gorged myself on stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes and of course, pie J. To top it off Matt and I went out the breakfast to an awesome breakfast place where they serve the most delicious muffins. But after all of those delicious dishes I came home craving something different then the traditional holiday flavors, so I went with a Mexican Tostada with Chunky Guacamole.




Avocados are perfect for filling up and getting lots of healthy fats. The monounsaturated fats in avocados lower cholesterol and have been linked to a reduced risk in cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Avocados are also one of the best sources of lutein, a carotenoid that helps in keeping your eyes and skin healthy. So pile the guacamole high!

Chunky Guacamole:

2 ripe avocados, diced
½ cup of cherry tomatoes cut in half
½ cup of red onion, diced
1 jalapeño, diced
1 garlic clove, minced  
1 handful of cilantro, finely chopped
1 lime, juiced
Salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and stir. Enjoy


Mexican Tostada

1 whole wheat tortilla
¼  cup of canned black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup of sweet onion, sliced
¼ cup of corn
1 handful of arugula
2 tablespoons of goat cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon of olive oil
½ cup of chunky guacamole (see additional recipe)
Fresh salsa of your choice
2 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro


Preheat oven to 370. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add black beans and corn, cook for about 5 minutes. Add arugula in last two minutes. In the mean time, lay tortilla on a baking sheet. Add sauté mixture to top of tortilla. Sprinkle goat cheese on top. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes (watch your tostada as some tortillas cook faster then others). Transfer the tostada to a plate and top with chunky guacamole, salsa and cilantro.

My kitchen vacuum

No comments:

Post a Comment