Monday, November 19, 2012

Is it Thanksgiving Yet?: Fall Harvest Salad


This week is really acting as nothing but a countdown until Thanksgiving. I am ready for a day dedicated to eating and spending time with family, two of my favorite things! Since I have been in such a Thanksgiving mood however I wanted to make something seasonal this weekend but I wasn't ready to jam stuffing in my face just yet (I was tempted). This is also a very easy dish to make if your trying to save all your cooking energy for Thursday.


This salad has great fall seasonal flavors with the apples, cranberries & apple vinegar dressing, plus the walnuts & cheese help to make it a satisfying lunch or side salad. I combined arugula and spinach, two all star greens to pack it full of healthy nutrients. This salad alone contains over half the recommended allowance of Vitamin K, essential for building strong bones . Add in the spinach, which has even more Vitamin K, and you've easily hit your daily allowance. More on spinach in upcoming posts J.  I always try to sneak spinach into my diet. It will do nothing but good!

Fall Harvest Salad

Makes 1 entrée size salad

1 ½ cups of baby arugula
1 ½ cups of baby spinach
½ granny smith apple, sliced
¼ cup of toasted walnuts (To toast walnuts, throw in a small pan, no oil, for about 4 minutes, tossing frequently)
2 tablespoons of dried cranberries
2 tablespoons of blue cheese crumbles
2 tablespoons of apple vinegar dressing (see below)

Combine all ingredients and enjoy!

Apple Vinegar Dressing

1 tablespoon apple vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of orange zest
1 teaspoon of fresh squeezed orange juice
1 ½ teaspoons of honey
Salt & pepper to taste

Whisk all ingredients together. Add to salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment