Sunday, November 4, 2012

Happy Birthday Brunch: Sweet Potato Hash & Veggie Omelet


This weekend I was able to go home and spend time with my Mom on her birthday. Happy Birthday Mom! Knowing we were going out to dinner that night I asked her to submit any request for brunch. Her choice, a veggie omelet. I know she loves omelets but she also knows I have a recent fascination with these puppies since I've learned how to make the most perfect omelet. More on that in a second.



On this frosty November morning I needed something hearty yet healthy (and delicious for a birthday brunch) to go along side our omelets. Walla, Sweet Potato Hash. Sweet Potatoes are a great alternative to regular Russet potatoes because of their high fiber content. They're also high in Vitamin A, B6, C & D. All essential for warding away those nasty November colds, and keeping your skin glowing.



Sweet Potato Hash:

2 sweet potatoes, softened in the microwave (approx. 4 min depending on microwave), diced
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
½ cup of diced red onions
¾ cup of diced red pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Heat olive oil in a pan on medium. Add sweet potatoes, red onions, red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 12 min. Add parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Serve

Now lets get to this omelet. First, omelets used to intimidate me, for good reason. They fall apart, I burn myself, they aren’t fluffy, etc. But, a few weeks ago I mastered the art thanks to this video from The Barefoot Contessa. Watch it! You’ll be inspired to become an omelet master. Omelet how-to

Now I know there is a lot of research out there for and against eggs and I am by no means a dietitian but as a Pescatarian, eggs get high remarks in my diet. They're packed full of protein, something Vegetarians & Pescatarians need to be mindful of. They even have vitamins like Cholin, which supports a healthy cardiovascular system and keeps that brain performing at a high level. Plus they have lots of Lutein which keep your eyes healthy. If your buying cage free eggs, you're also more likely to get some of those wonderful omega-3 fatty acids.

Omelet:

2 eggs + 1 egg white
Tablespoon of milk
Tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil

Whisk eggs milk and parsley together. Heat oil in pan. Cook omelet following video directions.

My Toppings (please substitute for whatever you love in your omelets):

2 tablespoons red peppers, diced
1 tablespoon red onion
Small handful of spinach leaves
2 tablespoons of shredded Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil

Heat olive oil in saute pan. Add peppers and onions, cook for 2 minutes. Add spinach. Remove from heat once spinach is wilted. Add vegetables and cheese to omelet once you flip (See video instructions).

Had a great visit as always but looking forward to being back home until Thanksgiving. Bruce seems to be looking forward to catching up on some rest. 


No comments:

Post a Comment